Colostrum is clear or yellowish in appearance and is very valuable as it is rich in nutrients and antibodies which helps babies to fight against infections. Colostrum is only found in the mother's milk and not in formula milk. Although Colostrum is produced in small amounts, it has sufficient nutrients for the normal baby for the first few days of life.
Benefits of Colostrum:-
1) Colostrum is yellow, thick and rich in Vitamin A & E.
2) Colostrum provides the baby with antibodies which can protect them against allergies like diarrhoea, bronchitis and chest infection.
3) Colostrum is baby's first immunization.
4) Diluting it with supplements reduces the full benefits of colostrum.
5) Colostrum reduces incidence of asthma and stomach ache.
6) Colostrum stimulates the baby's immature intestines to develop.
7) Colostrum helps to prevent jaundice.
Breastmilk produced at the beginning of each feed is called the "foremilk", and the milk appears thereafter is the "hindmilk". Do not be supprise as "Foremilk" is watery. Nevertheless, it provides more protein than "hindmilk" and sugar (lactose) and other nutrients. "Hindmilk" has more fats than foremilk and is therefore rich and creamy. "Hindmilk" provides the bulk of energy your baby needs.